Telephone Etiquette is described as a set of rules that you apply when you make or receive a telephone call. It is as simple and basic as saying Hello, Thank you for calling ABC Company and How may I direct your call. During the business day all employees are expected to follow the company guidelines for handling telephone calls from everyone who calls. Some of the callers may be current customers, employee family members, employees or a prospect and the manner in-which you handle the call can make a big difference to the company brand, your brand and the bottom line. You can assist in creating a strong brand for the company and yourself by following these basic rules.
1) Answer all calls before fourth ring.
2) No chewing gum, eating or drinking during a call.
3) Always put your best foot forward at the start of the call and answer with a smile.
4) Speak clearly and do not mumble or use slang.
5) Listen carefully to the callers needs and take notes.
6) Do not push the caller on to another who is not qualified to handle the call just to move them along.
7) Inform the caller who you are forwarding the call to and why. Remember that an informed customer is your best asset.
8) If you are unable to take the call, let the caller know when they can expect a return call and stick to your word. I cannot tell you how important that is to the caller and shows them you respect their time and you are professional.
The telephone may be the first contact you have with a customer, so use it to your advantage. Train your staff on the Professional Etiquette requirements for your organization and host refresher classes from time to time for all employees.
Train your team to meet the needs of your organization for today and your future goals.
For additional information about YPI Consultants and our training programs, visit http://www.ypiconsultants.com or call 631-320-0217.
Why? Because Image Matters!